Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Of Telephones, Tylenol, and Travel


Hit with another fever this evening. Don't know what caused it, I've been pretty careful. had only two errands to run this morning that required no lifting, or carrying anything heavier than a few oranges, a bottle of Mexican Coke (with real sugar), and a head of cabbage. 

Still felt weak as I ran the errands but everything else seemed OK. Then about an hour ago, the eyes began to burn and tear and the head began to pound. So, the ice bag cometh, as did the painkiller and Tylenol.  An hour later I began to sweat and knew the fever was breaking. I was soaked, experiencing chills (yes, again) so changed everything once again and crawled under the covers until the chills subsided. I can see another 2 loads of bed linens in my future tomorrow.  feel a little better now. 

The only other item I carried was a new cordless phone system for the land line.  The previous one died of a power surge during hurricane Sandy.  I had just purchased that one, and Staple's was generous enough to take it back and give me another one - a similar model with digital answering capabilities.  

That one bought the farm last week while I was in the middle of a conversation with the dr.'s office. I plugged in the "wired" phone for the time being and let it go until I felt better.  I bought one today though there are no longer units with the answering devices for under $100, and I'm not about to spend that on a cordless phone regardless of the bells and whistles (which I would never use, or learn to use anyway), so I went with another V-Tech (image above left) with 2 handsets, which being on sale, cost less than a similar unit with only 1 handset that wasn't on sale. Are you following all this? I'm not sure I am.

Just as I was prepping a light supper the phone rang (another nice segue, no?), it was the guest rep from the Inn on St. Peter in NOLA touching base to make sure everything was still a go and if there were any special items I might need for the stay.  Needless to say I was thrilled by the call and the open friendliness of this total stranger.  Then I thought, 'it  IS a New Orleans hotel, after all, and we are known world-wide for our generosity and hospitality.  So, why was I surprised?  Well, it's been a long time since I've experienced New Orleans grace and charm.

She confirmed all reservation details and made a note give a heads-up to the shuttle driver regarding my very early departure time on the 24th. The flight departs at 6:40 am. 

Can't believe the trip is only 1 week away. Hard to believe, really.

I know I should not be up and about at this hour.  Couldn't sleep earlier. All of a sudden I feel out of sorts,  chills coming on again, as is the headache. I don't know what I did to bring this on. I drank one iced tea and half the Mediterranean's water supply all day. Got to nip this in the bud. Oh well, back to bed.  I hope tomorrow is better.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of the medical setbacks before your trip. Although whatever your body needs, I imagine that going home will heal and bring peace.

    Now apologizing in advance for my cultural misappropriation

    Travelling mercies Sugah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a doctor (and I don't play on on TV either - I know, I know,; I've used this lame line before but I like it) BUT I suspect these "fevers" you're having are the remaining toxins trying to break their way out of your body. I hope that what it is anyway and nothing more serious.

    Didn't I tell you how fast time would fly by until your trip? Soon you will be on your way to a whole new world, NOLA. When you arrive in NOLA, leave all these petty worries and concerns behind. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...