Saturday, September 14, 2013

Hot Stuff Baby, This Evening


Thank You, Donna Summer.

Remember the previous post titled "Every Day in Every Way I'm Getting Better and Better"?  Well, it appears I jumped the shark on that one.  At one time or another I've been spiking low grade fevers every day this week, except of course, when I was in the Dr's office Thursday morning when it was a steady 98.9, believe  it or not.

By the time I headed to bed I had spiked a doozy of 102.4 and felt horrible. It was way too late to call the Dr's office and I was unable to drive, in any case. I just battened down the hatches, got another icepack, took 2 Tylenol and waited to sweat it out.

By Friday morning I felt better though still a little warm and slightly out of sorts. Took a shower, shaved, made a coffee, and had (don't laugh!) Cheerios with banana & blueberries, and headed out.

Made a stop at the post office to drop off a "Hold Mail" order. Mark, the customer service person looked at me funny and asked if I was ok, that I didn't look so good.  Well, how rude.  No, seriously, I've known Mark over 20 years and he wouldn't say such things if he wasn't concerned.

I hit the men's room when I get to work and took a good look at myself.  Dear Christ on a cracker! Eyes were glassy, skin pale and a face so gaunt it could have been someone else.

Went about my duties as kitchen and wait staff arrived. After all was settled and I had a break I realized I was very hot, indeed (and not the way you think, Hrumpf!) I checked my temperature to find it was 101.6 (as you see above - click to embiggen) not good, and I can't figure out why.

During lunch time, I called the Dr's office from the restaurant and explained the situation.  About 15 minutes later His nurse returned the call advising me to go home and stay away from crowds. Found the boss in the office, showed him the thermometer, told him I was going home and if the fever increased, I'd be going to the doctor's office.  I already told the nurse that I would NOT consider the ER unless my temp is 103'  Doctor's assistant warned me to stay home and do not work this weekend.   Two new scripts were called in - one is Bactrim and the other is Zovirax. Bactrim = 2 tabs every 2 days, and Zovirax = twice daily.  Expensive stuff too.  Picked them up on the way home.  I remember Bactrim from the old days when I worked with PWAs, (people with AIDS) so the Dr's afraid of bacterial and viral infections. Oh well, maybe this will be of some help.  If not, I hope someone can drive me to the hospital, if that's the only option. 

Note: I've been corrected in my usage of "low grade fever" and I humbly apologize for the error.  A low grade fever is one between 99' F and 100.4' F.  Higher fevers are called "Pyrexia" and can be 100.5 F to 105.8 F.  I hope I never get to that stage.

Funny thing, I still have an appetite and prepped some soup and a few chicken wings, not spicy ones.  I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. A salad wedge added the crunch.  Even though I didn't eat it all, I put it in the fridge for later.

I love living independently. but at times like this it would be nice if someone was nearby to offer assistance. 

Don't know what's going to happen about the trip. I can't see enjoying myself while carrying around a fever even a low grade one.  Take one day at a time.  Right? Well, in this case I am taking it hour by hour.

Took 2 more Tylenol and am about to take a luke warm shower before getting into bed

We'll see. 

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. Don't you hate it when you're feeling perfectly fine and someone says to you "You don't look good. Are you sick?" I say "I may be sick but I'm not sick."

    Seriously though, I hope this fever of yours, which seems reluctant to leave your harbor is gone soon and you can enjoy your trip looking fine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...