Sunday, September 15, 2013

Groundhog Day as Water Tunnel

Just think about that for a second. Surfing through an endless water tunnel day after day and never reaching the end which is always in sight.  Frustrating.

For three days my temperature has fluctuated from 98.9 to 101.0, then yesterday 99.6 to 100.1, and so far today from a low of 97.0 (don't ask) to a high of 100.1 a few hours ago.  See the pattern?  I do, but I can't figure out the trigger causing the flare ups.

Feeling little stronger three days on, not as weak when the fever spikes unless above 102, but still draining and annoying, since I can't pinpoint what could be the cause. The usual routine seems to work for a while;  Icepack, 2 Tylenol, lots of water and stay under the covers til I feel like the fever has run its course.

Calls to the Dr's offices have gone unanswered, not surprisingly being the weekend and all that. Still, there are real live humans staffing those phones and I'd hope someone would get back to me.  So far, no go.

I've spent the feel-good times tracking down the TSA rules and guidelines for air travel and found out I've done everything wrong. I don't know why food stuffs are not allowed in checked baggage. Liquids I can understand. I planned on packing a bag of nuts and a box of Melba Toast.  Not allowed.

I began rearranging things in both the bag to be checked and the carry-on. The plan had been to put all toiletries in the Dopp Kit and put it in the checked bag.  Not allowed in checked bags. No Dopp kits.  Just clear zippered storage bags (I'm surprised they don't specify the acceptable sizes. ) Of course, this makes the carry-on heavier than I'd prefer, but there's nothing to do about it. Besides, I won't have to carry it far in any case.

Yes, if I don't literally fall to pieces within the next 2 days, I am going on this trip.  Everything is already paid for, so unless I find out something terrible about my test results, I am going. And with the doctor's office record of returning phone calls, I don't see that happening. I'm not half as weak (when the fever hits) as I was just three days ago.  So, that's a good thing.

Anyway...

Called the credit card companies giving them a heads-up about the trip, so they don't freak out and call every time I use a card.  I've always done that and the CS reps seem quite grateful when I do.

Made a photocopy of all cards and identification in my wallet.  One copy for me, one for the luggage, and one for the carry-on.

Tomorrow I will get some cash to take along.  It's odd to type that since I hardly ever have cash in my pockets. Using a credit card for everything has great advantages over using my own money. However, I know there will be incidentals, gratuities, and some mom & pop restaurants in New Orleans take only cash (it's how they keep their prices down and I'm all for that.) a little pocket money will be a very good thing.

Linda is taking me to the airport so I don't have to drive, especially if a fever is involved. She returns today from her holiday in Ireland visiting her family. And either she or Eddie will pick me up when I return next week. I have a set of keys to the apartment in case Linda needs to get in for some reason.

The countdown begins...

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. acceptable is a quart size bag.

    the TSA is full of shit.

    NOLA is calling your name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, the terrorists have won. All that TSA crap. That's why I won't fly if I can help it. I understand unfortunately you don't have a choice.

    Thank goodness you have someone to take you to the airport. I was concerned that you had to make THAT trip to and from. If I ever use a plane again (which I doubt) I definitely will have to be driven to the airport for takeoff.

    I received my new Canon telephoto lens today. I'll check it out tomorrow. Sorry I haven't had a chance to FaceTime. Work you know. I'm finally back to normal, or what passes for normal in my world (you know how THAT goes.)

    Have a safe and stress free trip. Laugh, eat and no worries.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...