Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bad & Good Easter Surprises

The day began as anything but promising. The key to the restaurant door  jammed midway and wouldn't release the deadbolt, or allow me to extract the key to attempt entry via another door.  It was stuck, immobile, and though I pushed and pulled the door while trying to turn the key, all I did was damage my hands.

I hated to, but called Linda (our GM) and asked if she had any WD-40 that might loosen the lock. She was not due in until noon. I didn't want to call a locksmith on a Sunday, let along Easter Sunday.  That would have cost more than the damned door.

Fortunately, I didn't wake her and she was on site and armed with WD-40 within 20 minutes. We got the door open. She decided to stay and help me get setup and ready for the morning staff.  That was a joy.  I love working with her. She's a short, (or wee Irish Lass) sweet lesbian with  great blue eyes and a wry sensahumah.  We get on well.  In fact, she's the person who took me to IKEA to purchase my furniture and then put much of it together for me.  Yes, she's that kind of person, and I like to call her, friend.

Anyhoo, things ran smoothly with all staff reporting for work on time and the traditional Easter Ham dinners were ready before they were needed.  All good signs.

A steady stream of families filed through the doors throughout the afternoon There were quite a few reservations for large parties, as well as those who heard about the Easter Menu from friends or their hotel.

At about 1 pm, I received a message from my friend, Sasha, asking if I would like to try a traditional Russian Salad, and of course, I replied that, yes I would love the experience.

The original plan was to come home, broil or bake chicken wings and have them with a salad, anyway.  Well, those plans changed quickly when Sasha arrived with not only a huge container of the Russian Salad, but thick slices of baked ham and some kind of sweet nut bread.  While the salad may sound exotic, it is basically potatoes, eggs, other fresh vegetables, and herbs in a sort of mayonnaise based dressing.  It looks great and smells heavenly.

No matter the country, all our recipes are about the same - with only a few local differences.  But, those differences make for an exciting culinary experience.  At least to my mind, this is true. In any case, there will be feasting tonight.

To top it off, I got to chat with the sister to wish her a Happy Easter and Happy Birthday (tomorrow). Though she sounded OK, there was a kind of fatigue in her voice.  I'll call again when she's not with company.

The Russian salad is chilling, the ham is on the warming tray, and I am about to enjoy a few olives.  Sorry, there is no Russian vodka available for this evening's celebration. Bombay Sapphire may be a sacrilege, (my apologies to the Russian/Slav Gods & Goddesses) but will have to suffice.

Cheers and Happy Easter to all.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. What better way then spend easter with friends, or in the workplace or @ home.

    You're a blessed person, but so are Linda and Sasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Belated Happy Easter as the "Official" start of the season Looms for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...