Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gearing up for the Season: Long Hours, and Odious Republicans

OK, the last personal post was in the middle of the week, then things got really crazy here.  I made another attempt yesterday, but with so much going on, my thoughts were like a broken strand of pearls - going in every which direction.  No matter how I tried to string them together, it just didn't work.  And so...Frustrated!

Deleted, thank G*d!  I'll try again. Let's see:
  • The 6-day work week is here again.  A welcome sign.
  • Been proof-reading and correcting the new season's menus.  The lunch menus went into effect today.
  • Screening applicants for various positions (mostly for the kitchen) and arranging interviews.
  • Training new wait-staff whose only drawback is their command of the English language. Americans are very impatient, to say the least. More Latinos were hired this year.  I've been advising this for the past 2 years. 
  • Picked up the 2012 parking permit at city hall, so the car can sit on the street all summer without being towed away.
On my day off this week, I found a candy shop in town that carries Dutch, Australian and other European Licorice.  (Not seeing the forest for the trees, it turns out the owner of this store is a regular customer.) I asked in an off-hand way if he carried Licorice.  He smiled, didn't miss a beat and said, "only about 80 different varieties". Who would have guessed it?  Not I.  So, I picked up a pound of various favourites and enjoy the flavour, as well as the memories those flavours bring to mind.

Oh, and the Delaware Republican Convention  has taken over the town this weekend.  These crazy "family values" frauds are embarrassing in public; an extremely LOUD contingent decided to have a liquid lunch with us today before returning for the evening session of - whatever. (That should be interesting.)

I left work with a headache. Well, at least I am home in peace and quiet for the evening. There is grace in the world. And, you know that I am still here, if only just...

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I hear tell real 'proper' licorice beats the plastic black glop by a country mile, but I have never had any.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...