Tuesday, April 17, 2012

An Unlikely, Surprising Afternoon Encounter


Upon completion of a long list of errands, and battling what seemed like July traffic on the coastal highway - in 85' heat - I decided to stop into the Purple Parrot (AKA the feathered one) for a gin & tonic; an old haunt where many a laugh-filled evening was spent with friends, wine and good food.  (Image at right features 2 guys who are, for whatever reason, no longer in my life - but it was a good time.)

As I sipped the G & T, I learned that my favourite barman (who worked there for 15+ years!) had moved on to another job where he is now general manager. His new place of employment is not far from mine, so I hope to see him in the near future.

Of course, his departure from the PP has left the place in chaos.  He did everything imaginable and without complaint.  Perhaps they took unfair advantage of him, or maybe he was worn out by the 6 & 7, 12-hour days he was enduring. Beach resort life can be like that.

In any event, I met the new barman today, and had a delightful conversation about all things Rehoboth.  His name is Kenneth and he has been a server at the restaurant for 5 years.  Not quite sure that he's suited to be a bartender, he confided, he has misgivings. As for me, his personality and conversational skills make me think his fears are unfounded. He's also good looking with a bright smile and beautiful eyes. Really, a no-brainer.

So, I have made the jump; I had a drink at a previously fave bar, for the first time in over 3 years.  Thanks to Kenneth, I didn't feel out of place, or alone.

Next month, Happy Hour somewhere other than my workplace. Maybe I'll look up my friend at his new workplace and surprise him.  Of course, after Memorial Day Weekend, all bets are off until Labor Day. So, we'll see.

Time for olives and dinner preparations.  Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. I suppose it is none of my business, but I was surprised to know that Ron is no longer in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you had a good time and didn't feel "alone". I would feel so awkward being in a place where I didn't know anyone. I've done a complete 180 in the past 25 years. Marriage will do that to you!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine that your employer would be in the same "chaos" if you moved on to a new employer as well Sir !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Spo: It is what it is. See private note.

    @Mark: I know about "marriage" after 30 years with the same man, but this was a huge leap for me. I have not been to any bar (expect DL) since 2009. I didn't feel out of place because I know the owner and Kenneth made me feel at home.
    (BTW, I cannot figure out why I can't comment at your place.)

    @Roger: Very kind comment, but the locosguys are totally hands-on and could take over any position if necessary. Not so, the owner of the PP.

    Thanks for all your comments and visits.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...