Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A "Good News" Kind of Day

Days like this are all too rare.  I'll gladly take them when they come.

First up, a follow-up visit to the new doctor to discuss the hernia & results of the blood-work done last month. For the most part, I am in good form. All vitals within normals ranges, except for the LDL cholesterol, which is about 5 points above normal.  Am I going to fret this?  No! Fortunately, the HDL number is high.  I believe the extra walking exercise has been helpful in bringing the numbers down. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I will attempt to add more fish to my diet, have a hardy breakfast (I'd love it, but it doesn't sit well once I'm at work, so it is relegated to my day off), by ingesting more oatmeal.  Both are expensive at this time. We'll see.

I already cook with extra virgin olive oil, or canola oil, so that's a given. I use peanut oil for wok, or high temperature cooking. Oh, and NO, I will not give up butter for "healthier" margarine.  No-no-no!  Give me butter or give me death! Or, something.

Liver, kidneys, glucose, and the unpronounceables are good, too. While the doctor thinks my BP is above where it ought to be, to my mind 133 over 77 is a damned good reading for a man my age.  I will never again be 110 over 70.  Get over it. Weight is 189 lbs, down 4 lbs. from last month, but keep in mind they weigh patients fully clothed, so depending on the weight of the clothes one is wearing the numbers shift dramatically.

Since I have no real pain from the hernia, his suggestion was to make an appointment with a surgeon, let them view the results of the Ultrasound, and go with their suggestion.   I would prefer to have the surgery before season begins, but I will be in better financial shape in September.  I will make the appointment then make a final decision.

Purchased new black shoes for work to replace the ones that sprung a leak and left me with cold, soggy feet the other day.  No hassles there, the ones I wanted (light-weight, comfort cushion) were on sale, and I had a 20% off coupon from Rockport, so that was a no-brainer.

Picked up some Bombay Sapphire, as well as a bottle of wine. Did a bit of grocery shopping; found beef short ribs on special, snagged 2 packages, and returned home with all my treasures and a sense of relief, thanks to the doctor's reports.

The ribs are simmering in a mango/ginger barbecue sauce; they will be just the thing supper with a sesame/veggie noodle salad, and a glass of wine.

Finally, as I turned on the computer, I couldn't help but notice that my Spathiphyllum (known here as the "peace lily") is about to flower for the first time.  It was the first plant purchased when I moved here; it was in a tiny 4 inch pot. After 3 re-pottings, some TLC, and indirect sunlight, I am about to be blessed with a 2-inch flower. I have had many of these beautiful plants with their shiny, deep green, leaves over the years, some growing very large, but this is the first one that has produced a lily for me. I feel happy and blessed.

Tomorrow begins my 6-day work week that will continue until mid-September. Saturday and Sunday will be longer days as we will offer a Mexican Brunch from 9 am to 12 noon both days. The extra day - as well as the 4 additional weekend hours - will help me save for the surgery, build up the savings for the lean winter months, and put a little aside for a possible holiday in the Fall.

It has been a surprisingly good day, and not one morsel of "The Stoopid" did I experience. Perhaps I reached the limit for the month. No complaints here.  In any event, I smell olives!

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Niacin 1000mg at bedtime will cut your numbers in half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oatmeal is fabulous as lowering cholesterol
    Exercise raises HDLs
    Alcohol raised TG.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...