Sunday, April 15, 2012

Summer Arrives Early

No surprises there.  It's been a very mild winter.

Made a run to the supermarket at 7:30 this morning and the parking lot reminded me of a morning in July. Everyone was shopping for munchies and things to take to the beach.  Who knew?

Back at home I had breakfast, changed into work drag and as I walked to work at 8:45 the temperature had risen at least 10'.  Amazing.

As I approached Rehoboth Avenue it looked like a scene out of Exodus; lines of people - coolers, beach chairs, umbrellas, kids with their beach tools in tow - walking slowly as in formation toward the ocean and the sun.  I dread to think what these folks looked like by mid-day. The sky was clear and the sun intense, so I knew "lobster" would be the color of the evening - and a few days to come.

The doors of the restaurant were flung open and the lunch crowd was huge and jovial.  One server had to leave early, suffering from allergies (the pollen count is 5 times normal today) so I was left with only 4 servers.  They did their best to keep folks happy, but it was a challenge. Over 200 diners were served between 11:30 and 4 PM.

As I finished my shift  a few folks from my previous life arrived, surprised to see me, and insisted that we must do dinner together before the season begins. OK, I'm up for it, but I'll probably never hear from them.

As I left, evening diners were streaming through the doors and the bar was full.  All were in the "summer" state of mind; all were terribly sunburned. It promised to be another busy night, especially for a sunday evening in April.

As I walked home I noticed the temperature was 82' F - more June-like than April - but the humidity remained low and there was not a frown to be seen on any face I encountered.  Always a good thing.

Glad to be home.  Working on a spinach salad for supper as I enjoy a few festive olives.  Great day, all round.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. I agree .... even thou it was Easter Weekend not used to such strong early crowds brought out by the 80 degree temps on the island my parents live on. Atlantic Beach on the south end of the island was jumping. With most of the local business still only open on weekends it was funny to see all the tourists packed into McDonalds. Then again my favorite time on the beach is a cold December day when you can pretty much walk down the middle of the road. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been blessed here, too. Low humidity and bright sun. I got a burn mowing the grass. That hurt,

    WP

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...