Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spring Storms & Soggy Socks

The heavy rain began around 1 AM, waking me from a sound sleep as it pounded on the skylights in rhythmic waves.  As the intensity diminished and the patter became more regular and soothing, I went back to sleep.

After a quick, early shopping trip, I decided to take the car to work, rather than walk in the steady downpour.  Glad I did.  As I got out of the car and hit the first puddle, I experienced a most uncomfortable sensation; a wet sock and foot.  There is a crack in the sole of my left shoe that was not visible, but when the foot flexed the water flow was quite evident. (I remember having holes in my shoes in the distant past and I don't like it one bit.)  I worked the first few hours with a cold, wet foot as the rain continued to pour outside and wind gusts reached 40 mph.

Even so, a steady parade of diners kept coming in for margaritas, hot soups, black bean chili, and conversation; we were kept hopping all afternoon. And that's a good thing.

Margaret Cho performed here last night and many brave souls decided on a little more partying before driving back to DC, PA, MD, VA, or NJ. A good time was had by all. The rain was the heaviest of the day when my shift ended, so I enjoyed a festive cocktail before venturing out and heading for home.

As luck would have it, the rain slacked off a bit so I made it home with a minimum of wetness.  Only the jacket and cap needed drying in the bathtub. (I made note that a new pair of black work shoes must be purchased on the next day off.) The heavy rain is back and the winds continue to pound the coast.

I am home, dry, about to have supper as I nurse a few olives, and will be quite happy to take a hot shower, then scoot under the covers in a few hours.

To be honest, the area needs this rain. The farmers are complaining, afraid that their early plantings will die as seedlings. And since I purchase local produce I don't mind a bit of water or even a good soaking.  It's spring, after all.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a surprising wake-up call and wet feet too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Surprises" One welcomed, the other not so much. New shoes tomorrow after the Dr. appt. fir sure!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...