Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Good: Intentions, Food, Music, & Books

Everything was a GO before turning in last night. The list was made. Items ready to be checked off.  It would take about half the day. Didn't happen - none of it.  You know, 'good intentions' and all that.

I woke this morning and didn't feel like moving, so I covered up and drifted in and out of sleep.  Finally got up, had a coffee, checked the list and added one more item. Then looked outside. Cooler temperatures and gray sky added to my lethargic condition.

After a shower, I felt even more tired and congested (the pollen has been unforgiving) than when I went to bed last night.

Slug was the word of the day.  It's how I felt and performed.  Haven't left  the apartment for anything.

Put on some music, found frozen chicken that was a good candidate for freezer-burn and did a bit of cooking, making up the recipe as I hunted through cabinets for what was available and sounded like it might work; boneless/skinless chicken thighs, can of cream of chicken soup, sliced pepper jack cheese, diced Genoa salami, black olives, white wine, and breadcrumbs.  Does it sound disgusting?

As it baked, I sprawled on the couch to do some reading.  Or more properly, re-reading another of Heinlein's books and a favourite I've not read in 25 years or more. The smells from the oven say I have a pretty good recipe there. It is cooling and will have a taste as soon as it is at the proper temperature. (That's why I am writing this now. Time!)

Too early for a festive, so I'll busy myself with the arduous task of listening to Eva Cassidy or Sweet Honey, until cocktail hour comes upon me.  Yes.  It is that kind of day.

Update: This simple recipe is a WINNER! Who'da thunk it? Tender, moist, creamy/cheesy, spicy and (above all) inexpensive.  Love it. Fortunately, I made enough for 4 extra servings. Well, if I didn't, the chicken would have gone bad.  A win-win for me.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. may be some of the ennui from caturday. recipe sounds delicious, but i have never seen boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

    SG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feel less "slug"ish today.
    Take care!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Improv in the kitchen can be quite amazing. The sad part is that, when it's actually good, you know you'll never be able to do it again. ;)

    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SG: They are not available, but sometimes they're put on sale and I always grab them.
    @Mark: Much better, thanks.
    @Jon: I know, but that's the fun of this kind of cooking. It also helps use things that may have been forgotten in the back of the cupboard.

    Thanks for the visits and comments all.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...