Saturday, March 1, 2014

TMI: PLEASE READ ME A STORY!


1. Describe your favorite place to cozy-up with a good book.
Bed, propped up with a few pillows with a tall glass of water on the night stand.

2. What do you read when you're on the toilet?
Nothing. 

3. Do you read when taking a bath?
Yes. Though that's a luxury seldom indulged in anymore.

4. If you can, do you read when at the gym?
No, too distracting, but not applicable anymore.

5. Do you still read newspapers and or magazines?
Yes, magazines in paper format, but newspapers mostly online. Regular reads include The Guardian, NY Times, BBC World, Mother Jones, TheNation, TPM, and our weekly local paper which has a well formatted online presence and is FREE!

6. What are your favorite genres to read?
Historical non-fiction, Sci-Fi, and whatever catches my attention. I am not a "best seller" reader, per se.

7. Do you read one book at a time or can you read several?
I immerse myself in one book at a time.  Give it all the attention it deserves. 

8. If you start a book, do you finish it no matter what?
Hell, no.  Life is too short. Poor writing, editing, crappy story lines that don't live up to the hype turn me off within the first few chapters. And typos drive me to distraction.  Too many and I'm done.

9. Did your parents read to you when you were growing up?
No.

10. Have you read to your kids/nephews/nieces?
Yes. Many years ago. They always received books from me as gifts at birthdays and Christmas.  Usually, a book they requested.  

11. How do you feel about reading books vs. using electronic devices? Have your feelings evolved from one or two years ago?
I love my Kindle Fire. No space for the real things.  Gave thousands of books to local libraries.  My library is stored in the iCloud or on the device, not bookshelves. Purchased and available, but not taking up valuable living space. It goes with me everywhere.  Eats up waiting times at doctor's appointments and while being transfused.  Takes my mind off of the depressing surroundings.  

BONUS  
When was the last time you looked at or read an adult magazine to satisfy yourself? When was the last time you even saw one? 
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Note: as a child I read only what was required for school (no child should be required to read Dickens at 10-years of age, I had nightmares for years afterward), became a serious reader after high school when I moved to NYC and hung out with other avid readers.  There was no stopping me after that.  I had to go back and read all the classics I'd missed growing up - and it was great fun.

And so it goes.

*

1 comment:

  1. Dickens sometimes still gives me nightmares, but as an adult I think that is the point.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...